- Cut pumpkin into small cubes, less than an inch on a side. 1-2 cups total.
- Puree an inch of ginger, two pieces of lemongrass, and some Thai basil in a blender with a 1 cup of water.
- Strain the ginger / lemongrass paste and save the liquid.
- Dice 3 shallots and saute in oil for about five minutes over medium heat.
- Add the paste and pumpkin to the shallots and saute for a few more minutes.
- Add the reserve liquid, a half cup of vegetable broth, and some nam pla to the pumpkin. Lower the heat and saute until the pumpkin is soft, perhaps adding a little more liquid. Cook off all the liquid until there is just a thick paste remaining.
- Spread the pumpkin / shallot paste on the pizza crust. Add some vegetables. We had slivered snow peas. Carrots would be good, too.
- Add a thin layer of cheese. We used three parts fontina and one part mozzarella.
Saturday, October 04, 2008
Thai Pumpkin Pizza
I had a pumpkin and some Thai basil from my neighbor Tina. I found a recipe for Thai pumpkin soup and that formed the basis for a Thai pumpkin pizza that I made tonight. It turned out well. We'll definitely make it again, so I'm recording the recipe here. I made enough for a small 8" round pizza. All the proportions are approximate.