Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Python 3000

Python 3000 is ready! The official release may not come until tomorrow, but Barry has tagged the source and is preparing the release. We've been waiting for this release for almost nine years. The earliest reference I can find is a message from Guido to python-dev in Jan. 2000.

In the previous century, we had been thinking about Python 2 as the Python version that would break backwards compatibility to make real language improvements. Python 2 ended up being a big deal, but without too many compatibility issues. All the major changes were deferred to "Python 3000," a mythical creature. I'm eager to see what programmers make of this creature.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

As a developer getting ready to move away from Microsoft's c#/.NET, I am very excited. I can skip learning Python 2.0 and jump right into 3000!

Ultimate Privacy said...

OMG I simply cannot wait. I think I am going to be up all freakin night!

jess
www.anonymity.at.tc

Michael Watkins said...

Tastes great, less filling. I especially appreciate the sane approach to strings (unicode) and data, even if I do have to flip my 2.x thinking over. "Just works" is a nice, Pythonic, default.

EY said...

People were still writing 1.5.2 compatible code for a long time after 2.0 came out, so we'll see what the uptake on 3.0 is. Hopefully not quite as long. Congrats on finally getting 3.0 done though!

Anonymous said...

all night for a programming language ?! what is happening to our society

Anonymous said...

Must … install … on … tech.mit.edu

robottaway said...

Hooray! Thanks Jeremy. Py3k FTW!